Wednesday, April 02, 2008

If I knew then what I know now...

| |

This is 1/10th a test if trackbacks work, but mostly a comment...

Tom asks the age old question, would you keep doing what you're doing, or do something else. Well I sort of intended to be a tech writer from college...

So the funny thing is I don't specifically enjoy writing, but I'm good at it. I realized this in college as an engineering major. Because in those days, putting in hours of required studying wasn't my strong suit, but my passion for techie stuff was, I put these two things (engineering + writing) together and got a writing oriented degree, with the intent of using it in the technology field.

Do most people go into their college studies all idealistic and truly want their career to orient itself around their decided major? I don't know - but I did. Would I like to be a full time engineer now? Heh, I don't know about full time, but it's fun to put down your pencil and pick up a development environment application.

I've flirted with the idea of other vocations: law (but I don't want to deal with lawyers), teaching (but I like working alone), ISD (same as teaching). These are all in the create or communicate sphere, so I don't know if I'm going so far out on a limb as an oceanographer. OH yeah - I'd like to be a green contractor, but that community is so old-boy network around here, the thought of it turns me off.

Would I mind being a TW in 20 years, writing manuals? Maybe not! It's hard to say, but as long as the technology I write about is engaging, there's a good possibility I will be.

1 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

I enjoyed your post. Re the trackback, it doesn't look like it pinged me. If so, an excerpt from your post would appear in my comments section.

Actually, I didn't know you could specify a different link for your post's title like you did. Interesting (kind of like Digg).

I'm not sure if Blogger supports trackbacks. I've always thought they were somewhat problematic with Blogger. If you ever research this more and find an answer, let me know. You might also try including a link directly within your post to see if it sends a trackback.

I just found your post by reading my feeds in Google Reader this morning.