Tuesday, May 20, 2008

wiki this and that

| |

I'd say that the days I don't visit wikipedia are rare and definitely the outliers. Have you contributed to wikipedia? (I have in 2 minor ways)

My post and question on the role of wikis in Technical Documentation is short. Let me first contrast between wikis and formal documentation:

  • Wiki-Generally non-hierarchical collection of documents that can be edited by the wiki's audience.
  • Formal Documentation-Rigidly organized collection of documents that can not overtly be edited by the audience.
Without laying out some pseudo formal frame work to elicit responses, here is my question:

The tech writer generally wears 3 hats: Content Manager, Editor, Technical Writer. Are all three of these hatted people cheering for wikis to supersede formal documentation? If not, what is the balance that should be maintained

I ask this as someone who generally acts as a Tech Writer and sometimes Editor, and in general doesn't really like the idea of wikis invading the realm of formal documentation.



*Maybe this three-hatted person is known as a Content Professional, but UGH on that title*

0 comments: